Operational Risk - Director (Second Line of Defence)
Are you an experienced Operational Risk Profesional who is keen to play an active role in shaping the future of Operational Risk in a global financial services firm? Are you an able communicator adept at rendering complex concepts accessible, pinpointing the right questions to ask and landing messages effectively with a range of Stakeholders?
As a member of the Second Line of Defence Operational Risk team, you will have the opportunity to drive how the Group future-proofs its approach to managing, mitigating and monitoring operational risk. Your involvement will be far-reaching, involving multiple Client Units and Support Functions and covering a blend of 'Business as Usual' activity as well as strategic projects and business-critical ad hoc initiatives. Your ability to deputise confidently and capably for the Head of Operational Risk, to own and see through to completion sizeable projects as well as your adaptability will be critical.
- Navigate the complexities of Operational Risk as a member of a small but highly-regarded team based in Zurich and Munich, adopting a Group-wide perspective and understanding;
- Engage directly with Stakeholders to disseminate the Operational Risk Framework and ensure that their approach is aligned to Group methodologies;
- Review current Framework, tools and methodologies to ensure both ongoing improvement and effectiveness as well as compliance with regulatory expectation;
- Deputise for the Head of Operational Risk, ensuring appropriate participation in working groups, steering committees and governance fora as required;
- Support the team in ad hoc activity such as deep dive reviews and projects, some with Group-wide impact.
- Review periodic reporting to identify trends for further analysis as well as emerging risks, challenge data with the risk owners
- Collaborate with Business Risk Managers and Second Line peers such as Compliance to ensure consistent implementation of the Group Risk Framework;
- Engage with Internal Audit on themes relating to Operational Risk as well as reporting on issue management more broadly;
- Continually re-think how we approach our day-to-day activity (error handing, risk assessment, reporting, policy review etc) identifying areas for improvement, automation and innovation;
- Operate as a seasoned member of the broader Finance & Risk team, providing input into initiatives, leading project workstreams and representing the function more broadly as needed.
- 15+ years of Financial services experience, ideally 10+ in a Risk, Compliance, Internal Audit or Control role;
- A commitment to excellence with a strong eye for detail;
- A broad understanding of industry practice, Operational Risk drivers as well as the regulatory horizon;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills with an ability to tailor your style to the audience;
- Fluent German both orally and in writing; strong professional working knowledge of English.
- Delivery-oriented with an ability to drive 'business as usual' while keeping an eye on the bigger picture;
- Able to apply Operational Risk theory in a practical, value-added manner;
- A natural leader who is able to engage others and motivate them in the direction of a common goal;
- Flexible and able to manage multiple competing priorities many of which may have complex dependencies;
- Creative in finding solutions, structured in their implementation;
- Able to take ownerships of relationships, projects and deliverables
- Self-aware, committed to your own development and able to both give and receive feedback .
Thank you for applying to Vontobel. We will carefully review your application and will respond to you in a timely manner.
At Vontobel, we are an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.
We value the many voices within our teams and are committed to creating an environment where everyone who wants to be part of our performance culture can be themselves. It is based on mutual respect and zero tolerance for any form of discrimination.
If you have any questions you can contact us through our contact form .