Sr. Software Dev Engineer
DESCRIPTION Our focus in the Alexa Multimedia group is to improve the multimodal customer experience on Alexa devices with screens. We do this by combining Computer Vision and semantic understanding techniques and applying them across large volume data. This allows Alexa to enrich spoken answers with multimedia assets that are relevant, aesthetically pleasing and inline with Alexa image safety policies.
We have solved so many different problems to get to where we are today but there are many more remaining - your role is to own these problems, think big and answer them.
As a senior software development engineer in a team with worldwide customers, you will invent, design and build software in ambiguous or complex spaces, in your role as a technical leader on the team. You will proactively and independently work to improve the consistency and integration across teams, with limited guidance, exploring re-use or extending existing solutions. You understand the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs between your team's short-term business or operational needs and long-term technology needs. You are a key influencer in team strategy, and you drive mindful discussions with customers and peers. You bring perspective and provide context for current technology choices and guide future technology choices.
You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view and design guidance, making things simpler and driving engineering best practices. You work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
You will deliver solutions at scale, as you work with multiple functional teams from asset acquisition, product and design, and delivery teams. We have strong links with many teams within the Alexa organization who are all running fast to make Alexa better and you will keep us ahead of those dependencies.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Engaging with internal customers to understand a business problem to independently form and lead a technology strategy.
• You influence your team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to team priorities and approach.
• Articulate communication of your ideas to achieve the right outcome for your team and customer. You seek diverse perspectives, listen to feedback, and are willing to change direction if it creates a better outcome. You harmonize discordant views and lead the resolution of contentious issues (build consensus).
• Leading and structuring multiple streams of technical delivery - designing, developing, testing and deploying software that demonstrates best practices and sets an exploratory standard and an example to others.
• Make technical trade-off decisions.
• Actively participating in the hiring and developing of others, providing technical assessments for SDE promotions and contributing to professional development of colleagues.
• Solve complex software problems across timezones with scalable, extensible solutions.
• Lead projects to streamline team processes.
• Create mechanisms to reduce churn on implementation
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Significant experience in a technical project management or related role.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills across all levels of the organization, with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
• Strong organizational skills, successful track record of coordinating between multiple project stakeholders, technical program managers, and software development teams.
• Strong software engineering experience, including Java and/or C++.
• Good experience in networking, multi-threaded applications and complex software development.
• Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable systems.
• Experience designing, building and managing IP based communication systems and services.
• Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities.
• Expertise in Node.js, SOAP API's, REST and AWS Lambda.
• Knowledge of MongoDB, DynamoDB, S3,SQS/SNS
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Preferred Qualifications: An ideal candidate would have:
• Experience co-ordinating teams across multiple sites and timezones.
• Master's degree
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
• Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules
• Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skill, including verbal, written, listening and customer relationships
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment