Technical Operations Manager
DESCRIPTION Do you enjoy helping to implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this leading a team who utilises the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology platform?
Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with recent examples of being named #1 in customer service, #1 most trusted, and #2 most innovative. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in Cloud technologies. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. You will work with leading companies in this space and directly with the engineering teams within Amazon developing these new capabilities.
AWS Support provides global technical support to a wide range of external customers as they build mission-critical applications on top of AWS services such as Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2. We are seeking an Operations Manager with strong operational, leadership and technical skills to lead a team of engineers responsible for providing support.
Your team will:
• Field technical support inquiries from customers
• Complete analysis and present periodic reviews of operational performance
• Provide detailed reviews of service disruptions, metrics, detailed pre-launch planning
• Make recommendations to customers about how new AWS offerings fit in their company architecture
• Advocate for customer requirements within AWS (be their voice)
• Work with some of the leading technologists around the world
• Work directly with Amazon Web Service engineers to ensure that customer issues are resolved as expediently as possible
The right person will be highly technical, analytical, and have experience managing technical teams. In addition, this person will have a record of driving projects to improve support-related processes and the technical support experience and be passionate about the growth and success of AWS customers. You should have strong verbal and written communication skills.
This is a shift work position, including overnight shifts.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 6+ years of engineering experience and 2+ years of direct management / leadership experience within the information technology industry
• Capable of managing an engineering team supporting external services with a business problem or strategy that may not yet be defined
• Able to assess technical support requirements based on where services are at in their life cycle
• Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience with AWS service offerings
• Experience with web services
• Working knowledge of software development practices and technologies highly desired
• Past experience as a systems administration, network engineer, or software development engineer
• Flexible work schedules (weekends and/or evenings when required)
• Ability to solve complex problems independently
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.